Decision making got you down? Here are my top 10 strategies for making smarter decisions.
1. Be guided by a mission, vision or purpose.
2. Set a time limit.
3. Systematize smaller decisions to free up brainpower for bigger decisions.
4. Focus on what you can control.
5. Balance previous experience with seeking out new and different options.
6. Analyze the costs and benefits of a decision as well as indecision.
7. Recognize that not making a decision is also a decision.
8. Seek counsel only of those you admire for their decision-making skills.
9. Check whether you are basing your decisions on assumptions or actual evidence.
10. Embrace uncertainty as a fact of life and move forward as best you can with the information you have
Decision making is a skill that improves with practice just like any other skill. If you feel pressured to make a choice, pause, breathe and focus on what’s critical. Often times we confuse what we think should be important with what actually is important at this moment. When everything is a priority, then nothing is a priority.
Jo-Aynne von Born, Executive Coach